The Department for Culture, Media and Sport is seeking to appoint an individual with the necessary blend of skills and experience as Chair of The Theatres Trust to succeed Rob Dickins CBE, whose term of office ends on 30 January 2015.
The Theatres Trust is The National Advisory Public Body for Theatres, established by The Theatres Trust Act 1976 and The Theatres Trust (Scotland) Act 1978 ‘to promote the better protection of theatres’ and has the powers to acquire or hold any theatre or land required for the benefit of any theatre, contribute to the acquisition of any theatre or land, and maintain or assist in the maintenance of any theatre.
Role of the Chair
The Trust’s Chair promotes good governance by ensuring that the Council of Trustees effectively performs its principle tasks of:
- Commenting on/approving policy matters, the Trust’s three year plan, and the content of its annual report.
- Ensuring that proper financial, administrative and legal arrangements are in place.
- Employing a Director with the authority to carry out the day-to-day management of the Trust’s affairs.
In addition, the Trust’s Chair shall:
- Chair the meetings of the Council of Trustees, of its Annual General Meeting, and of the Annual General Meeting of the Trust’s Charitable Fund.
- Act as the Trust’s principal representative in its relations with its key stake holders.
- Play an active role in the appointment of trustees so as to ensure the balance of skills and experience necessary for the Trust to operate effectively.
- Understanding of and commitment to promoting the aims and objectives of The Theatres Trust as the national advisory public body for theatres.
- Recognition as an authority, advocate, and leader in the cultural sector or theatre industry, with strong personal and communication skills, allied to an ability to be objective, listen, inspire and motivate.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of issues affecting theatres across the UK, and appreciation of their value in planning, regeneration and development, architecture and design, the environment and heritage.
- Ability to promote sustainability and diversity, and to offer strategic guidance in support of the Trust’s executive while commanding the respect of key stakeholders.
- Excellent record of governance and leadership in the cultural sector.
Full details at:
Information about the role, including skills and experiences sought, and how to apply can also be found at theatrestrust.org.uk/aboutus/opportunities
If you have any questions about the role please contact:
Mhora Samuel email@example.com T: 020 7836 8591
If you have any questions about the Public Appointments Process please contact:
Sujan Kareer firstname.lastname@example.org T: 020 7211 2305
The closing date for applications is: Monday 27 October 2014
Interviews will be held on: 8 December 2014
The post is a public appointment made by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport and applicants are asked to apply through the Cabinet Office.
The Theatres Trust
Protecting theatres for everyone
T 020 7836 8591